12.12.2012

Snuggles Pillow Soft and Deep...Baby Major Goes to Sleep.




Dear Major,

It’s the holiday season, which means a few things.  One of those things is that our family is really busy.  You’ve been pretty busy too these days.  

Ever since you were born, i have wondered how your childhood will be different than your brothers and sisters.  You are deprived of naps sometimes because the big kids need rides from here to there.  

You get played with a lot, though.  And nurtured like crazy.  You have lots of mamas and daddy’s.  Everyone in our family thinks you’re hilarious and too cute for words.  You get doted on a lot.  


Around 5:30 p.m., however, most everyone in the family tries our best to ignore you, but it’s hard.  Because you scream a lot from about 5:30-8:00. Nothing makes you happy and you let all of us know that in very loud and angry ways.  And at 8:00 you become so darn cute and funny again that daddy won’t put you to bed.  

Anyways... I sat down to type this to you because this morning we, me and you, dropped the kids off at school and by the time we got home, you were almost asleep in your carseat. When i came in the house, carrying your heavy, sleepy, baby-self, i didn’t want to put you down.  

So i didn’t.  

Normally, i would lay you down in your bed and make sure that you napped at maximum capacity.  

Not today.  

I snuggled you and we read stories.  Llama Llama, Red Pajama.  You love that book.  

You insisted on wearing your green froggy hooded towel the whole time.  You also found the binky that you got in the hospital when you were born.  You wanted to suck on that one instead of your normal bink.   

After the story, you were so still and so calm.  I watched you suck your bink and relax to the point where it almost fell right out.  You saved it though, every time.  Sucking it right back in and letting your eyes fall heavy and relaxed with each save.  

You were snuggled so perfectly to me, like art.  You felt weightless.  

I kissed the bridge of your nose lots of times.  Finding comfort in the fact that my lips still fit in the curve perfectly, indicating to my heart that you are, indeed, still a baby.  When the bridge of your brothers and sisters noses started to straighten and harden, i knew that babyhood was about to come to a close.  But today, yours is curved and your button baby nose is still as kissable as ever.  I’m so glad. 


I love you, my sweet baby.


I’m so glad that the busy didn’t stop me from snuggling you today.  Every single one of these moments are why i am on earth.  I wouldn’t trade one single one of them for anything.  Except for maybe more moments just like today.

Keep tight, sweet boy.


love,

Mommy   

6 comments:

Grammy Suzzy said...

Tears...So beautiful! That is all I can say.

Laura Kidd said...

That was beautiful. What a beautiful letter Major will have to read and understand when he is older. A letter about his wonderful mother and a beautiful moment they shared. Thank you for sharing that with us.

jessica said...

So smart of you to document this! Last night I found a picture of me holding Camden while we were both napping that Aric had taken. It was on the afternoon of C's 4th bday party. He looked so gigantic and yet he was still so my baby...your words took me right back to that moment. You inspire me to pause and be more present...love you!

runningfan said...

Hey, long-lost blogger friend. I know you haven't blogged in...forever...but when you do, I love it, so you're one of my nominees for the Liebster Award. I explain it on my blog. :)

DM said...

beautifully written natalie! You have such a gift! Those are the moments we live for and those are the moments that get us through the cranky ones :-). Now all we have to do is figure out how to have those moments with our teenagers sigh. So wishing I could go back in time and squeeze him a few more times!

Christy said...

Every moment like poetry. Sweet, still and universal. A mama's day with her baby. Love, love.